Monday, April 23, 2007

Friday evening was the U’s Film Studies Spring Show, “Persistent Vision’s”. I went with Sue, Anna, & Sean. It started about 8 and finished up about 11:30. There were 16 short films and some were great, some not as great. Some were just too long. But I really enjoyed my time there.

I am pretty sure Anna’s favorite was “Backstroke”, followed closely by “Frames Of Reference”. I don’t want to play favorites, but I really enjoyed the finished product of all the films I was involved with. The work done by the students was amazing. With both their peer’s and teacher’s feedback and coaching, it all paid off in a very professional and high quality body of work. Congratulations!

Just a few quick comments and follow-ups on the films I was involved with in no particular order:

The Prayer – Josh Negley – Fabulous work! I loved how Josh added the evils of war news clips and still the photography, I felt that it really drove the point home and brought back memories for me of a reality and message that I think we should never allow ourselves to forget, thank you.

BackstrokeAmy Bronson – What can I say? This film is very well done and is starting on the film festival circuit, starting in New York at the “NewFest 2007” festival this summer. Congratulations to you! The completed product with amazing sound quality too should bring Amy some well deserved recognition.

Blue MoonPaul Johnson – Again, what great work! I am impressed with the quality of the production, sound, lighting, and the story Paul is telling. Paul may be headed to the short film festival circuit with this one as well. Paul has an eye for detail and a gift for bringing a story to life. Well done!

Frames Of ReferenceJosh Samson – Cinematography is some of the best that I think I have ever seen. In a word: Spectacular! Josh Negley worked with Josh Samson on this and was the cinematographer for my scenes. I think he did it for the entire film, but I am not sure. Let me explain how I see it: a lot of times you see scenery, a lake, the woods, trees, a snow fall, a sunset… nice sure, but you are watching it from afar, almost as a witness, and not as being there, not really being a part of the surrounding’s, live and in person. Well here I did feel that I was there, walking amongst the trees and up the stream feeling the snow fall… that’s how I felt as I watched, a part of it all, live. David Christenson’s performance was marvelous he brought the story to life, made it emotionally engaging and effective. I was touched. I will toot my own horn on this one too I thought my voice sounded incredible in the “off screen” voice over pieces. We did them on site in the outdoors with the wind and cold, and these guys captured it well. I don’t know if Mr. Samson knows just how gifted he really is. I’m glad I got to be a part of his team.

Here is a quote to me in an email from Dan Christensen a fellow actor who was also in a film that evening, and was in attendance for the show: “For the most part, I was impressed with the quality of the production work during the evening. We have some sophisticated students working.” I must agree! Dan and I have worked together before and I hope to work with him again. His piece that night was dark, disturbing and scary. Cool! Good job Dan.

One last note, I am blessed to be able to work with these folks and hone my craft as they grow and develop their skills. I have made working relationships and friendships along the way. I enjoy the projects and look forward to many more. Thank you for allowing me to play along.

Once I get a copy of these films, and I learn how, I will post them on here, or at least post a link to them.

See Ya,

Bill

No comments: