Sunday, May 13, 2007

I went to the table read for “Manifesto” yesterday. I had taken Sean over to his girlfriend’s grandmother’s house. Well, I found out that she lived across town and nowhere near where I was headed. I know you’re going to find this hard to believe, but I was late.

I called Will and let him know and he said that the “Official” read wasn’t going to actually take place until 1:00 pm and that the first hour was going to be chatting about the script and getting everyone’s feedback, just to get there as soon as I could. I ended up getting there about 20 minutes late, but still in time to get in on the discussion. The read went great and hearing it aloud was a treat.

This is a full length feature film and I am excited to be a part of it. The story was written by and is to be directed by Will. He is also the main character actually the main two characters. They will be filming on the weekends and my weekends are tentatively set for June 9th & 10th and the 16th & 17th. The film is an ultra low budget SAG film, so there is pay, but not a ton. I just hope I can do a good job and get some good exposure.

When I left the table read, I got a call about an audition I did on Monday afternoon. I read for the part of a “touchy feely”, but not in a good way, preacher. Well I got the part. This one is being done by three grad students up at the U. I’ve worked with all three before, and I can’t wait to see what a collaboration of their talents will produce. I don’t think it’s too much to ask for, but I am expecting excellence! This one is a 35 mm film.

OK, so here is the real reason I am updating this so soon. SO, I go and pick up Sean. We do a bit of mothers day shopping and we head home.

Robbie and I are in the family room and Sean goes to get a glass of milk in the kitchen. I can’t see what he is doing from where I am sitting, but I hear a glass break, then another. I am immediately thinking, what the hell is he doing? Robbie looks over, and then all of a sudden crash, bang, almost like thunder, banging, breaking… from where I was the sound was intense, from where Sean was, it must have been deafening. Then I hear Robbie shouting what the f---, them we hear poor Sean yelling help! “Can someone come and help me…” This all happened so fast that Robbie and I are almost tripping over each other to get to Sean and see what the hell is going on.

We get in there to find Sean holding up the cabinet up as it is hanging off of the wall. It is the cabinet that we have ALL of our glass. The wine glasses, daily glasses, good dishes, daily dishes, glass cooking dishes and bowl’s… everything is glass or stoneware.

Thank goodness we all had shoes on. So Robbie and I grabbed the cabinet and held it and had Sean check to see if he is OK. There was broken glass everywhere, coffee cups, plates, bowl’s, wine glasses, family collectables… everything. Sean was a bit shaken, but we still needed to get the rest of the stuff out of the cabinets. Robbie and I held the cabinet up, and were handing Sean the contents. Eventually we got everything out and we lifted the thing off the wall, crunching through the glass praying we didn’t slip on it. As we got to the end of the long counter, the cabinet broke apart into two cabinets. We set them down and started the cleanup. WOW!

Amazingly nobody was hurt, and nobody got even a single cut.

We bought this house new 10 and a half years ago and to state the obvious, we must have had way too much weight in the cabinet. But looking at it too, there were only 8 screws holding the whole thing up! That seems pretty lame to me, but I am not a cabinet installer, so I don’t know if that’s normal or not.

Lot’s of the contents were salvageable, and some stuff is going to DI. So, now we have a chance to go through stuff and get rid of some of the useless crap we have been collecting over the years. Everyone has incomplete sets of dishes and glasses and that process usually happens over time. One breaks here and there and before you know it, its time to get a new set. Well we did ours all in one shot. We now have several incomplete sets of everything.

I need to find someone who does cabinet installation. I think the cabinets are salvageable, but again, I’m not a cabinet guy.

Happy Mothers Day!

See Ya,

Bill

No comments: