Sunday, December 10, 2006

“Unaccompanied Minors” 12-10-06

So I went to an audition on Saturday up at the SLC library downtown. I did a crappy audition and met fellow actor David Webb as I was getting ready to go in. We spoke very briefly before I was called in, but somehow we talked about the new “Unaccompanied Minors” movie released on Friday. I asked if he had gone to see the movie as I had read on a few groups that I belong to, that lots of the extras were planning to go see it as a group to see if they could see themselves. My experience as an extra is that if you are actually seen at all, you are usually very blurry, and only because you were there, you know where to look for your blurry spot. Watch any movie or TV show and you’ll see what I’m talking about. But it is fun if you do actually get to see yourself.

David said that he had not seen it yet, but he had heard from someone that I had a great shot in the movie. Well I hadn’t actually planned to see the movie before it came out on video, and Sue kept saying that she wanted to see it. But I told her the same thing that I said above, if I get to be seen, I’ll probably just be a blur. But once David said that I had a good close up, OK, well I guess we had better go see it. So we did.

At the beginning of the movie I play a TSA scanning luggage at the security place, so I’m looking for myself. Well that scene went by in a blink and was shot from such a great distance that if you could actually see anyone, well good luck. I told Sue that that was the scene I was in, so much for that. So we just watched the rest of the movie, no biggie.

Well… right before the end of the movie there is a scene that I’d forgotten about where lots of stuff happens (I won’t tell you.) but there I am big as life. The first few shots I am quite blurry, but clearly it’s me. Then as they go back and forth with the dialogue the camera also goes back and forth, and in the last few shots, I am in focus right behind the main actors.

I called my brother John before I even left the theater and told him to go see the movie. Then I called my brother Jimmy and told him. He wanted to know what my part was and I told him that I was just an extra, but you could see me clearly. He again asked what I was doing in the movie and I told him that I was just an extra, just standing there. He said “just standing there??? so what!” OK so here I am excited about being on the “Big Screen” and he says just standing there? Kind of brings it home don’t it?

Extra work is fun and you get to be on a real live movie set with real professional actors who are being paid real well to do their jobs. You get to see how it’s done. You get to see some of the magic, and you get to see that actor’s are just people like everyone else. They are just treated a bit more special at times.

I have been an extra on many movies and a few TV shows and even did a commercial as an extra, I did a few as the main character too, and I am sure I’ll do extra work again.

My dream however is to be in front of the camera in speaking roles or featured roles. I enjoy the work, I love the people and I have a lot of fun. My goal is just something more. I get better with each film I do and I learn what to do and what not to do. I have done many lead, featured, and supporting roles in film. I continue to take classes, workshops, coaching and I train. I am teachable and take direction well. I am willing to do what I need to do for my success thereby creating success for my family and for the people around me.

Sue & I enjoyed the movie. It’s a kid movie with lots of juvenile antics, but fun. Go see it!

See Ya,
Bill

No comments: